Saturday 26 February 2011

A new book for a new season



The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne is the book I have chosen for this new term.

To tell you the truth I had read some reviews about the book and I was looking for it, but it was impossible to find it in English, so on one of my journeys to Wigan I bought it. When I saw the book sitting on the bookshop shelf of Waterstone’s, it screamed at me, “pick me, pick me!” How can I say no when a book just screams at you, begging to be taken home and read. So I got two copies, one for me and another for my friend’s daughter who was nine years old.

The story of The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas is very difficult to describe. Usually we can read some clues about the book on the cover, but in this case the author thinks that would spoil the reading of the book. It is important that you start to read without knowing what it is about.

If you do start to read this book, you will go on a journey with a nine-year-old boy called Bruno. (Though this isn’t a book for nine-year-olds.) And sooner or later you will arrive with Bruno at a fence.

Fences like this exist all over the world. I hope you never have to encounter such a fence.

I would highly recommend that you go and get this book. You’ll enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment